JULIE MORLEY MNCS Accred, Hyp.dip, Adv.dip.CP
Dealing with Life's Stresses
There are some things we can do to ease the psychological, emotional and physical symptoms of stress when we start to feel overloaded in life. Below lists some areas for attention which promote wellbeing. So if you are starting to feel overloaded then take a look at this list.
REDUCE: Caffeine, Cigarettes (cause anxiety), Reduce over the counter medicines, Alcohol, Salt intake, Sugar
- Vitamin B’s- either eat more foods with Vitamin B's in or take a vitamin B complex.
- Eat Regular meals and if this has been difficult lately, eat little and often. Even if it is just milk, yoghurt, fruit, toast.
Fluid Intake- Drink more Water & Herbal teas
SLEEPSleep is vital for rebuilding the body and for psychological health
- Routine, relaxing before bedtime
- Warm milk & carb (biscuits, cereal, crackers, banana)
- Bath, Massage
- Avoid looking at games consoles or any screens 2-3 hours before trying to sleep
If these things are not helping then more sleep focussed work can be done in therapy or with a sleep therapist.
EXERCISE AND PHYSICAL ACTIVITY
Walking/Rambling, Running, The gym, Swimming, Cycling, Dancing,
Gardening, The gym & Weights
Exercise can help balance brain chemicals / hormones and can greatly assist in reducing stress hormones. It can help release tension, irritability, improve mood and release nervous energy.
- "Adult Bedtime Stories" to help get to sleep
- "PMR meditations" -Progressive Muscle Relaxation -ideal for physical stress symptpms and Sleep
- "Hypnotherapy for Stress or Anxiety or Depression (whichever you would like)
These recordings are varied and there are many. Find voices you like listenning to. Many people like Jason Stephenson.
Using these deep relaxation techniques reduces the Flight and Fight response in the body which can help ease physical stress symptoms.
LIFESTYLE / LEISURE / ACTIVITY
- Days out & Activities
- Evenings out
- Theatre, Cinema
- The Arts & Cultural Events etc
- Play the music you like
- Movies, Drama's and Books
- Nurture Something, Pets, Gardenning
- Put something back into your community
- Creativity and / or Hobbies
- Do Something new
Psychological and Emotional Activity
- Psychological Interests: Studying & learning, Reading
- Learn Deep Physical & mental Relaxation
- Visualisation Exercises
- Meditation, Yoga, Thai Chi
- Friends & Support network
If the self help changes above are not helping, this is when Therapy can assist. In therapy you can explore:
- Sleep Therapy
- Stress Management Skills
- Self awareness
- Emotional / psychological needs
- Address perceptions and unhelpful thought patterns or belief systems
- Processs past traumas and or losses
- Lifestyle adjustment,
- Careers, future plans and goals, sense of self
- Relationships, self esteem & worth,
- Communication skills & Assertiveness,
- Building a Support Network
- Self understanding & acceptance, Self validation
- Changing thought processes
- Owning of feelings, Expression
- Psychological & Emotional development, maturing and growth